Thursday, October 20, 2011

Changing your engine oil….Why? How?

This is a post I penned in 2010...but it's still relevant and interesting...I think... :-)

First, I’d like to address the how question.  I have it done at a shop.  I honestly see no reason not too!  In the past, I had a boyfriend who changed his own oil and he offered to do mine too.  I thought - awesome!  We went to the auto parts store (names left out for the sake of anonymity) and got the oil and a new oil filter.  The total came to around $25!  It usually costs about $25-30 at the dealer- to have the oil changed for me!  In addition to the negligible cost savings – there is the issue of disposing of the used oil.  It’s not all that easy!  It must be set aside and taken to proper recycling, where they may or may not charge you to dispose of it!

It was at that point that I realized there is no reason for me to do it myself!  Plus, when I got my new car I had a few complimentary oil changes at the dealer – very nice!!  Additionally, if I take my car to the dealer they can keep an eye on any recalls.


So next is why.  Without getting into too much detail…the engine oil keeps the moving parts lubricated.  The oil is circulating through the engine as the engine runs.  Not only is it lubricating parts as it moves through the engine, it is also picking up debris in your engine – either from the manufacturing process or created while the engine is running.  This causes the oil to accumulate debris and THIS is why your oil needs to be changed.


So another question is how often?  While I can’t answer specifically – I would highly suggest reading through your owner’s manual and following their suggested intervals.  When I go to the dealer to get my oil changed they put a little sticker on my windshield reminding me to get it changed in 3,000 miles.  HOWEVER!! My owner’s manual suggests every 5,000 miles.  Go with your owner’s manual!  3,000 miles is a default recommendation and also another way for the shop to get your money by changing your oil more often.


How could you more precisely determine how often to get your oil changed?  The best way I know how is to get your oil periodically analyzed.  Which would mean: 1) get samples and 2) send it in to get it analyzed and 3) compare it to generalized limits.  Then you would need to estimate when your oil reaches the limit and change your oil accordingly.


Call me lazy…but I just follow what my owner’s manual says and take it in to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment